Saturday, February 2, 2013

Is it real or is it Memorex

Remember the old commercial about Memorex recording tapes? It asks, "Is it real, or is it memorex", implying that it's hard to tell the difference.

I wonder sometimes if "mom's" rehab is real or is it "memorex".  I want to believe it's real, but I struggle with that. The kids have now been in our care for 13 months and each time, I hear how good she is doing (from HER mouth) and then I find out that she has been released from that current program for non-complience.  I have to admit, the first 6 month, or maybe even 9 months, I really believed her. And each time I was let down.  You see going into this I made a promise to myself that I would be supportive, be a mentor to this young lady so I would encourage her to work to get her kids back....and each time I was let down.....

I believe she really wants to do good and change, but drugs have such a hold on a person...
Currently she is in residential treatment center about 2 hours from here. She is scheduled to be released in a few weeks and when I spoke to her the other day I asked where she was going from there.  She didn't know... I asked how are you getting back to Tampa?  She didn't know....
Part of rehabilitation is learning life skills and "figuring stuff out". My inclination is to find a solution to her problem but I have to step back and let her figure it out. If she does someday get the kids back she needs to learn these skill.  Her rehabilitation has to be real, not Memorex....
and I hope her kids are not let down.....

“I believe that in the end the truth will conquer.” ~ John Wycliffe

No comments:

Post a Comment